“The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books.” –Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
College Preparatory Writing
- Honors Composition & Literature
- Composition & Literature
- Honors American Literature & Composition
- American Literature & Composition
- Honors/AP English Literature and Composition
- English Literature and Composition
- Honors/AP English Language and Composition
- Honors World Literature and Composition
- World Literature & Composition
- Honors Journalism II
- Journalism I
- Novice Competitive Speaking
- Honors Varsity Competitive Speaking
- Creative Writing
- As one of its service projects, the Marcella Chapter of the National English Honor Society hosts a Writing Center designed to help Marian students with essays and papers. The Marcella Writing Center is open on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings in the Student Services Department to answer questions about writing papers. Students who may be struggling with MLA formatting, embedded citations, Works Cited pages, or direct and indirect quotations are encouraged to stop in the writing center. A senior, who is a member of the NEHS, will be available to work with students. The NEHS members will not help write the papers or essays but will answer technical questions and direct students to places where the students could find the answers to their questions.
- All Marian students submit writing assignments to Turnitin. This website improves student writing by preventing plagiarism and providing rich feedback to students.
- The Marian High School English Department uses MLA citation for research and writing assignments. Click here to view a Formatting and Style Guide. For additional help with MLA citation, students may use the following citation generators. Be sure to use MLA 8th edition.
Citation Machine: http://www.citationmachine.net/mla8/cite-a-book
Easy Bib: http://www.easybib.com/
The Kregel Windmill Factory Museum in Nebraska City is seeking original work for their 3rd annual Wind & Water Art Show this spring. Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 places in each division. All entries need to be related to renewable energy. Students may submit work in the following categories: literature (short stories and poems), illustration, painting, photography, sculpture, graphic arts, or textile arts. Online submissions and/or further questions can be sent to email@example.com. Click here for more information: https://www.
*Are you interested in submitting your work to a writing contest, but you’re not sure where to go? Check out http://www.pw.org/grants.
The Writing Contests, Grants & Awards database includes details about the creative writing contests—including poetry contests, short story competitions, essay contests, awards for novels, and more—that have been published in Poets & Writers Magazine during the past year. Deadlines for submission vary.
Students should check the bulletin board outside the library for additional information on writing contests.
National English Honor Society
On Feb. 23, 2018, a group of juniors were inducted into the Marcella Chapter of the National English Honor Society. The Marcella Chapter is named in honor of Marian’s first principal, Sr. Marcella Sitzman, O.S.M.
In keeping with the national motto, “Duty goes with honor,” the Marian chapter has an annual service project: the Marian High School Marcella Writing Center.
To become a member of NEHS, a Marian student must earn an A in 5 semesters of required English courses.